Dental implants are one treatment for missing teeth. It may be surprising to know that adults from 20 to 50 years old are missing at least one permanent tooth. The average person over the age of 50 is missing six permanent teeth. There are several good reasons to consider getting dental implants to replace missing teeth, and the number one reason is bone density.
Dental implants start with a titanium screw that integrates into the jawbone just like a natural tooth root. Over time, the bone grows over the artificial root and holds it in place. The natural-looking artificial tooth is attached to the post. When a tooth is missing, the place in the jawbone does not get regular exercise from chewing and gradually disintegrates. When the implant is embedded, the bone starts to re-grow.
Along with bone density, there are several other good reasons to consider dental implants:
• Implants are almost as strong as natural teeth. You can chew everything you enjoy eating without restrictions, and they do not decay or get cavities. Other tooth replacement options may not be very strong and you need to be careful when eating not to break them.
• Since implants are embedded into the bone, they stop the other teeth from moving. Other options may need to be regularly replaced because the gap is not filled and the teeth can still move in the jaw. Dentures and bridges may slip around in your mouth, causing sores, requiring adhesive and feeling bulky. They can even affect the way you speak.
• Implants look and function like natural teeth. They are custom-made with the shape, size and color to match your other teeth, and you can brush and floss as usual. During your regular dental checkups, they will be examined to make sure they are functioning normally. When you chew with dental implants, it does not feel any different than when you chew with your natural teeth.
• Since dental implants are strong, natural-looking and secure, they give you the same confidence that beautiful, natural teeth give. You can smile with the sureness that you look your best. If you have gaps in your teeth, your cheek may begin to sag into the gap, but with implants, your face keeps its youthful appearance because it is fully supported by all of your teeth.
• Implants last longer than any of the other options. In some cases, they can last a lifetime.
• Implants stay in place. They do not slip or click when you talk and you do not take them out at night.
Today, dental implants are the standard treatment for missing teeth. They not only look and function like natural teeth, but they also help maintain the integrity of the jawbone.
During a consultation with Samuel F. Jirik, DDS, our skilled cosmetic dentist, your teeth may be examined. There are several tests and X-rays that can help determine if dental implants are the best solution for your missing teeth. Our office is located in Cabot, AR and we serve clients in the Little Rock, AR and surrounding areas. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to learn more!