If you’ve taken the first step to enhance your smile by making a cosmetic dental consultation, you want to be sure that the first meeting is a successful one where you leave feeling confident about the treatment plan. Here is a checklist of things to do for a great start with your dentist:
- Be sure to fill out all forms completely. You’ll be asked to share about your medical history, any previous dental care or oral surgery, allergies and medication. It’s a good idea to bring a list of all current prescriptions and over-the-counter medication with you for your appointment as well. Bring dental X-rays if they’ve been taken in the last six months.
- Write down all your questions about treatment prior to your appointment. What are the benefits and risks of procedures? Will you need anesthesia or sedation?
- Before your appointment, ask yourself what you want most from your cosmetic treatment. Think about the alignment of your teeth and if you’re happy with them. Consider what shade of white you want your teeth to be. Also, ask yourself if you’re happy with the amount of gum or teeth that show when you smile.
- Ask to see before and after photos of patients who have had similar cosmetic dental work done. And ask if you can see a preview of potential results. Computer imaging is a great way to see what your teeth would look like after treatment to help you make a decision.
- While it’s important for your dentist to listen to you and your goals, it’s equally essential that you listen carefully to your dentist to understand the procedures being presented.
It’s crucial to communicate clearly from the beginning what your goals are so your dentist has a good understanding of what you want. Open, honest communication helps you get what you want in an improved smile that lasts for years and even decades to come.